PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
Admission to the CERGE-EI PhD program is highly selective. The program seeks to admit students who demonstrate a high level of academic ability, and exhibit the motivation to develop into top quality researchers. The admission committee carefully evaluates each applicant’s academic credentials as evidenced especially by prior courses taken, grades earned, academic references, and the rigor of the institutions attended.
The application deadline is the 30 of April (23:59 Central European Summer Time) of each year. There is no application fee.
Who Can Apply
- Any individual from any country is welcome to submit an application.
- CERGE-EI does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, gender, or religion.
- There is no application fee.
- Strong background in mathematics is an advantage.
- Sufficient proficiency in English to read, write and fully understand PhD-level study material is necessary.
- Previous education in economics is welcomed, but not required.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent that can be recognized in the Czech Republic (or the expectation of completing a Master’s degree by June of the year for which you are applying). Strong students with a Bachelor’s Degree may also apply directly to the PhD program. However, for legal reasons they cannot take full advantage of PhD student status. For details, please contact us.
How to Apply
All application materials, including letters of reccomendation, must be submitted through our online application form or delivered in paper form, by the deadline of April 30 (23:59 Central European Summer Time).
The following materials are required for an application to be processed. All materials must be submitted in English or accompanied by an English translation.
- Online Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of motivation: please submit a 1000-2000 word statement in English describing your academic and research background, your interests and career goals, and how the program at CERGE-EI will help you meet your objectives. Please see the Statement of Motivation Guidelines
- Verified copies of your Bachelor and Master diplomas and transcripts (diploma supplement) with certified translations into English if needed (if the original document is in another language). Please see the Guidelines for Verification of Diplomas and Transcripts for details. You will have to present these documents in paper form in case you are invited to the Preparatory semester or directly admitted (upon your arrival to CERGE-EI). Applicants who will be completing their Master studies or will receive their Master diploma only after our application deadline must submit confirmation of studies from their current university and their current transcripts.
- Contact details for two (or max. three) referees. Their letters of recommendationmust be submitted using the reference page in the on-line application or sent in a sealed envelope with the recommenders’ signature across the envelope. Referees must be familiar with your academic background described in the online application form. Please see the Recommendation Letters Guidelines.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit other relevant documents that may support their application, such as additional study records, certificates, etc
- Applicants are also encouraged to submit TOEFL (Institutional Code 2403), IELTS or other certified English language exam score, as well as GRE (or other proficiency test) scores.
All materials must be either uploaded through the Online Application Form or delivered in hard copy. Materials sent by email are not accepted.
Mailing address for delivery of the application materials in hard copy:
PhD in Economics
P.O. Box 882, Politických veznu 7
111 21 Prague 1, Czech Republic
After you Apply
The Admission Committee evaluates all materials received by the application deadline. You will be notified when your application is complete and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee.
The Admission Committee evaluates whether the applicant’s background, qualifications and professional interests sufficiently meet the requirements of the PhD in Economics program and are in accordance with the research focus of the CERGE-EI.
Exceptionally strong candidates are admitted directly to the first year of the PhD program, while less strong but still sufficiently qualified candidates are invited to the Preparatory semester. Applicants are notified of the admission decision (direct admission, invitation to the Preparatory semester, or rejection) in the first half of May.
Based on an applicants’ background and qualifications, direct admission (without further exams) to the CERGE-EI PhD program may be offered. Direct admission is typically awarded to 10-15 applicants with strong economics and/or mathematics background and motivation.
Each year about 40 applicants are invited to attend the summer Preparatory semester, which begins in mid- July and runs for 6 weeks. The Preparatory Semester is designed to support applicants with varying levels of knowledge of modern Economics and Mathematics. It provides potential students with a knowledge base on which to build their PhD study, and allows them to gain a sense of how Economics is taught at CERGE-EI.
Performance in Macroeconomics, Microeconomics and Mathematics courses, as well as on an English academic writing exam, determines which Preparatory Semester participants are admitted to the PhD Program, typically about 20 applicants each year.
Preparatory semester participants are notified of their admission to the PhD program in the first half of September.
- January: PhD Program Online Application opens.
- April 30: Deadline for online application and all required documents including recommendation letters.
- Early May: Applications are checked for completeness and, if complete, forwarded to the Admissions Committee for evaluation. Applicants are notified of the status of their application.
- Mid May: Application are reviewed by the Admissions Committee, and applicants are notified of the admission decision via email.
- Mid May: Applicants invited to the Preparatory Semester are contacted by the Study Affairs Office with details on how to arrange their stay.
- Mid July: Preparatory Semester starts.
- Mid July: Deadline for Preparatory Semester participants to deliver verified documents to CERGE-EI (Please see our Guidelines for Verification of Diplomas and Transcripts).
- End of August: Preparatory Semester final exams.
- Early September: Preparatory Semester participants are notified via email whether or not they have been admitted to the PhD program.
Ingin dikirimkan Brosur Cetak atau Digital kampus ini, silahkan isi Form di bawah ini